To create an adorable polar bear sweatshirt you will need:
- the Hot Chocolate pattern (EU customers can find it here)
- the free animal appliqué pattern (EU customers can find it in the files section of the Facebook sewing group.)
- white/cream teddy/sherpa/minky/jersey (enough to cover your front body piece of your sweatshirt)
- scrap of black fabric
1. Print pages 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 and 10 from the appliqué pattern. It is created in layers which means you can choose to print just the size you need.
2. Cut the bear front and 4 ears from your bear fabric. Cut two eyes and one nose from your black fabric.
3. Use the instructions for the fox appliqué to sew your ears. (Note: the smallest ears can be a little fiddly to fold. You may prefer to leave your ears flat.)
4. Place your bear front on your sweatshirt front piece, all right sides facing you. Pin in place. Slip the raw edges of your ears under your bear front fabric. 6mm (1/4″) or a little more of the ear should be hidden and the rest of your ears should be visible, pointing upwards. Sew along all edges of the bear using a stretch stitch (alternatively a long, narrow zigzag can be used.) If you are sewing a small size the ears should hold themselves up. If you are sewing a larger size the ears may be a little floppy. If you would like them to stay upright then sew a couple of centimetres (about an inch) along the centre of each. If you are using a fluffy fabric your stitching will likely be completely hidden.
5. Pin and sew your eyes and nose either using a sewing machine or hand stitching. I was in a hurry with mine and he ended up a little crooked, but I think it gives him character!
6. Sew the rest of your sweatshirt using the Hot Chocolate instructions.
7. Give your polar bear a hug!